Chapter in this post:
The day before yesterday Apple streamed its annual September event, where not only that iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro (Max) and the 2nd Gen AirPods Pro were shown. In addition to these devices, there was also the presentation of various watch models. The most impressive of these is the Apple Watch Ultra. This offers a 49 mm titanium case, which encloses the display and protects the crown from damage and accidental actuation. There is also a new action button that can be assigned individually. In combination with up to 36 hours of battery life and numerous extreme sports functions, an offer for users with the highest demands has been created.
Apple Watch Ultra Specifications
Below you will find the most important data about the Apple Watch Ultra. I haven't found an official data sheet yet, but with regard to the watches, Apple always takes its time. Therefore you will find here the summarized data from the Keynote Stream and the press release to the Apple Watch Ultra.
- Manufacturer: Apple
- Model: Watch Ultra
- Device type: Smartwatch
- Case Size: 49mm
- Case material: titanium
- Display: Always-On Retina Display
- Display brightness: up to 2.000 nits for best outdoor readability
- Chip: S8 SiP dual-core processor
- Operating system: watchOS 9
- Internal Storage: N/A
- Input options: display, crown, side button (press and hold to choose between emergency call, emergency pass and siren) and action button
- Action button / action button: color-contrasting button on the edge of the housing with immediate access to functions such as training, compass waypoints, compass backtrack, etc. (individually adjustable)
- Sensors: Temperature sensors for menstrual cycle and ovulation monitoring, two new motion sensors for crash detection, heart rate, blood oxygen, ECG, navigation sensors for compass, altitude and depth, and some more
- Battery life: up to 36 hours with normal use, up to 60 hours in low power mode
- Loudspeakers: two loudspeakers for better audio output as well as an integrated alarm sound as a siren with a volume of 86 decibels for attention after accidents or similar.
- Microphones: three microphones that are intended to ensure voice transmission with suppression of background noise
- Cellular: all models of the Apple Watch Ultra are GPS+Cellular and can be used with cell phones
- Resistance to external influences: MIL-STD-810H certification for temperatures between -20°C and 55°C and various weather conditions
- Waterproof: up to 100 meters water depth (WR100-certified)
- Certification as a diving device: EN 13319 certification, measures underwater depth and water temperature up to 40 meters depth
- Recommended watch and iPhone app for divers: Oceanic+ app by Huish Outdoors
- Positioning: including dual-band GPS with L1 and L5
- Target groups: Endurance and top athletes, explorers, sea and water sports enthusiasts (details see below)
- Bracelets: specially designed bracelets for the three target groups
The Apple Watch Ultra for endurance and top athletes
The new Apple Watch Ultra was designed, among other things, for top-class sports. The dual-band GPS is used for precise localization on running routes, off-road and in cities as well as away from any civilisation. In addition to the L1, the L5 grid frequency is also used. Furthermore, the watch uses new positioning algorithms to enable even more precise positioning. But the Apple Watch Ultra not only improves tracking at city marathons or in the desert.
The battery life should also be an advantage for endurance and top athletes. The Apple Watch Ultra should have enough battery for a long-distance triathlon over 3,8 kilometers swimming, 180 kilometers cycling and a marathon of 42 kilometers. Of course, the fitness features already known from the previous models can be used and the sensors can be used to keep an eye on body values such as pulse and blood oxygen.
The action button was also developed with endurance sports in mind: The action button can start training directly and guide users to the next interval of a custom workout or to the next round of a combination sport training session. It can also be used to mark sections, complementing the new track running experience that automatically provides pace and distance estimates for runners on a track
The Apple Watch Ultra for explorers
A second target group that Apple wants to address with the Watch Ultra are "discoverers". That basically means mountaineers and friends of climbing. Because the corresponding advertising images and videos were primarily located in the alpine terrain. Not only the compass should help here, but also the up to 2.000 nits bright display. In addition, the compass app has been adjusted to provide more useful data.
The app features a new hybrid view that simultaneously displays a compass pointer in both analog and digital. Turning the Digital Crown reveals an additional view showing latitude, longitude, elevation, and tilt, as well as an orientation view with compass waypoints and backtrack.
Waypoints or "Waypoints" are used to mark a place or interesting waypoint directly in the app. This can be done via a corresponding symbol on the display, but also via the action button - ideal if you are wearing gloves. "Backtrack" means that you can orient yourself backwards using previously set waypoints. "Backtrack uses GPS to create a path showing where users have been before. This is helpful if they get lost or disoriented and need help finding their way back'" says the press release linked above.
The new Apple Watch Ultra should work at temperatures between -20°C and 55°C and withstand adverse conditions. "The Apple Watch Ultra is certified according to the relevant MIL-STD-810H criteria [...] Tested for low air pressure (altitude), high temperature, low temperature, thermal shock, liquid contamination, rain, humidity, submersion, sand and dust, freeze/thaw, ice/sleet, shock, vibration and more“, It says.
The Apple Watch Ultra for sea and water sports enthusiasts
The third target group chosen by Apple for the new ultra smartwatch are water sports enthusiasts and divers. Scuba diving and free diving are to be improved equally with the watch. But the developers also had kitesurfing and wakeboarding in mind. The Oceanic+ app is recommended for diving to a depth of 40 meters, and the watch is WR100 and EN 13319 certified for this use.
In addition to all the swimming and water sports functions known from previous models, there is now a new depth gauge in the Ultra model. In addition to the water depth, the time, water temperature, dive time and maximum depth reached can also be displayed at a glance. The size and brightness of the display should also pay off here. The activation of the recommended app as well as diving functions integrated in watchOS 9 can be placed directly on the action button.
"We are happy to work with Apple. With our experience in diving and the unique features of the Apple Watch Ultra, the same watch becomes an innovative dive computer for everyday usesays Mike Huish, CEO of Huish Outdoors. "With Oceanic+, Apple Watch Ultra users can have new, enriching diving experiences."
The big innovations of the Apple Watch in 2022
Both the new, large Apple Watch Ultra and the regular Apple Watch Series 8 and the 2nd generation Apple Watch SE, all of which were presented on September 7, 2022, have what is known as accident detection. The function known as “Crash Detection” recognizes car accidents and makes an emergency call in the event of a crash. If everything is okay or the watch has misinterpreted an impact other than an accident, the emergency call can of course be canceled. In addition, four different accidents are to be detected: frontal impact, side impact, rear-end collision and rollover.
Another new feature this year, made possible with the Apple Watch Ultra and Apple Watch Series 8, is the addition of retrospective ovulation estimates to the cycle log. Two temperature sensors should be able to determine retrospectively whether and when ovulation took place. The Apple Watch SE (2nd gen) does not have this function because it lacks the temperature sensors - as well as the ECG technology. However, the cycle protocol that has been offered for several years is possible here.
The Apple Watch Ultra also has all the connectivity, activity, and health features known from previous models — measuring heart rate, taking an EKG, measuring blood oxygen, and so on. There are also activity rings for everyday life and the mindfulness app. Last but not least, all other additional health, safety and navigation features are also integrated. So if you belong to one of the target groups shown above, but don't want to do without the previous Apple Watch advantages with a specialized smartwatch, you can upgrade with this.
Availability and price: when to buy the Apple Watch Ultra?
You can pre-order the new Apple Watch Ultra starting today, September 9, 2022, at 14:00 p.m. in the Apple Online Shop. In two weeks, on September 23, 2022, it will go on sale. Pre-ordered models will be delivered and Apple Stores and electronics retailers will then put the professional watch on the shelves. About the price: The Apple Watch Ultra costs 999 euros. An iPhone 8 or newer or iPhone SE (2nd gen) or newer is required for pairing with the smartphone iOS 16 necessary. When buying a new watch, 3 months of Fitness+ are included free of charge.
- Special features, sensors and three new straps designed for adventure, exploration and endurance sports
- 49mm aerospace-grade titanium case for the perfect balance of weight, durability and...
- The largest and brightest Apple Watch display for better readability in all conditions
After graduating from high school, Johannes completed an apprenticeship as a business assistant specializing in foreign languages. But then he decided to research and write, which resulted in his independence. For several years he has been working for Sir Apfelot, among others. His articles include product introductions, news, manuals, video games, consoles, and more. He follows Apple keynotes live via stream.
Did you like the article and did the instructions on the blog help you? Then I would be happy if you the blog via a Steady Membership or at Patreon would support.
The page contains affiliate links / images: Amazon.de