Omegle is an online chat service that allows you to chat with random strangers around the world. What is special about Omegle is that the chats are completely anonymous - users do not have to disclose any personal information and can even chat under a false name.
Omegle is an easy way to connect and make new friends with people from all over the world. The concept sounds a bit like basechat, because there you can get connected to other people on the phone and meet strangers.
But as with Basechat, you also have to reckon with weird people in Omegle who hang around on this portal to troll other people or spread naked pictures.
Chapter in this post:
Is Omegle also allowed for children?
No, the platform writes directly on the start page that you have to be 18 years or older to use Omegle. Unfortunately, this notice does not really help to block access to children or young people.
However, since there is a high probability of encountering explicit image material or dubious people on Omegle, I would also prohibit children from accessing it - with an explanation of why.
Parents should enter the domain omegle.com in the child protection settings of their cell phone and in their home router so that access is not possible.
Is Omegle dangerous for children?
Because Omegle is a completely anonymous chat system, there is a risk that children may come into contact with strangers who share inappropriate content or engage in inappropriate behavior.
There is also the possibility of cyberbullying, since children and young people are more vulnerable and cannot always defend themselves against inappropriate behavior.
On Omegle, there is no guarantee that users are who they say they are, nor are there any ways to prevent inappropriate content or behavior. So, it is better if kids and teens opt for other online chatting options that are safer.
Are there also Germans in Omegle?
Omegle is a worldwide chat service, so it is likely that there are also German users. However, since there is no way to verify the identity of users on Omegle, it is impossible to say for sure if someone is actually from Germany.
However, it is possible that you will get into conversation with people from Germany and other countries via the chat service. In the options you can specify the language "German" and meet other people with this language choice.
What do you get banned from Omegle for?
Omegle has certain rules and guidelines that users must follow in order to use the chat service. If a user breaks these rules, they can be banned from Omegle. Some reasons for a ban include:
- Sharing inappropriate content such as pornographic images or videos
- Threats or harassment of other users
- Disseminate hate speech or discriminatory content
- Use of false identities
- Using automated programs or bots
It is important to note that Omegle has the right to ban users without warning or explanation if they break the rules.
On Omegle itself you can find this note (translated):
You are solely responsible for complying with all laws, rules and regulations that may apply to your use of the Services. You agree that you will comply with these Terms and the Community Guidelines and will not assist or enable others to:
- violate or circumvent any applicable law or regulation, agreement with any third party, right of any third party, or our Terms or Rules;
- use the Services for any commercial or other purpose not expressly permitted in these Terms, or in a manner that falsely implies endorsement or affiliation with Omegle or misleads others as to your affiliation with Omegle;
- license, sell, transfer, assign, distribute, host, or otherwise commercially exploit the Services;
- copy, reproduce, distribute, republish, download, display, post or transmit the Services, in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, except as expressly provided herein;
- the Services or an individual element within the Services, the Omegle name, an Omegle trademark, an Omegle logo or other proprietary information, or the layout and design of any page or form included on any page in the Services without use, display, mirror or frame Omegle's express written consent;
- use any robot, spider, crawler, scraper, or other automated means or process to access the Services, collect data or other content, or otherwise interact with the Services;
- circumvent, circumvent, remove, disable, impair, decrypt or otherwise attempt to circumvent any technical measure implemented by Omegle or any of Omegle's providers to protect the Services;
- modify, create derivative works from, attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble, or reverse engineer the software used to provide the Services;
- take any action that damages or impairs or could impair the performance or proper functioning of the Services;
- or violate or violate the rights of others or otherwise harm or threaten anyone.
My Omegle test
Of course, I couldn't send an article about Omegle online without even trying to chat myself.
My first chat kept getting dropped as the system seemed to have a hard time finding someone who shared both my hobbies and my fancy language.
In the second attempt, I then found someone who came from North Rhine-Westphalia, but was apparently more of a dating search. In any case, he answered, but then quickly ended the chat. At least there were no funny photos or stupid texts. So you can definitely meet normal people there.
Who is Omegle interesting for?
Omegle can be of interest to adults of all ages (18+) who are curious to connect with strangers from all over the world and make new friends.
It can be especially interesting for people who like to chat and are curious about what other people in the world are thinking and feeling.
Omegle is also interesting for people who want to improve their language skills or simply expand their knowledge of other cultures.
What data do I have to provide when registering?
Omegle is a completely anonymous chat system that does not ask for any personal information from its users. There is no login in the classic sense, as no email address or password is required to use the chat service.
To chat on Omegle, all you have to do is visit the website and start chatting. Optionally, you can also set hobbies and your desired language, but you don't have to specify either, nor do you have to do it according to the truth.
In addition to the text chat, you can also start a video chat if you have a webcam on your computer, smartphone or tablet.
But be careful: there is no way to verify the identity of users on Omegle and there are ways to protect yourself from disturbing content that others post in chat. Also, since there are no user profiles, holding someone accountable, even if they break the law, may be problematic.
Jens has been running the blog since 2012. He appears as Sir Apfelot for his readers and helps them with problems of a technical nature. In his free time he drives electric unicycles, takes photos (preferably with his iPhone, of course), climbs around in the Hessian mountains or hikes with the family. His articles deal with Apple products, news from the world of drones or solutions for current bugs.